Wednesday, October 13, 2010

How my cake pop obsession all started...

My brother Chris and his girlfriend, now fiance, Mary were visiting San Francisco to see friends and enjoy their favorite city. My brother had planned for several weeks to surprise Mary and propose at a ticket booth near the Wharf where they once were called "Newlyweds." To make things even better, he had designer Julia Kuo create a custom brochure of "Things To Do In San Francisco" to be handed to Mary at the ticket booth during his proposal. 


I fell in love with Julia's work. One of the icons on the brochure she designed was a little cupcake symbolizing Cafe Madeleine, the couples' favorite eatery in San Francisco. I wanted to bake something for my brother's and Mary's engagement party but since I was going up north from Los Angeles, I didn't want to travel with cupcakes and worry about them getting ruined. I decided to make cupcake pops which are mini cupcakes dipped in candy coating on a lollipop stick. I made them look like Cafe Madeleine's icon that Julia designed. They came out so cute, travelled great, and were a huge hit at the engagement party! It's now my favorite cake pop. 


And that is how it all started. From getting inspired by Julia's design and making my first Cafe Madeleine Cupcake Pop. 






Congratulations to my big brother and my soon to be sister in-law! 

Love Julia's work? Check out her website http://www.juliakuo.com/
To commission new illustrations or buy existing art, contact Julia at juliaskuo@gmail.com. She is amazing, a pleasure to work with, and just an overall wonderful person. 
Cafe Madeleine Cupcake Pops can purchased at: http://www.etsy.com/listing/57791739/cafe-madeleine-cupcake-cake-pops-12 or e-mail info@cakepopla.com to place your order.